installation not speaking

Danny Keogh dwkeogh at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 4 23:11:00 EDT 2004

Hi people.  I've only just joined the list and am fairly
inexperienced with linux.  I now have a spare computer and
decided to give it a go and learn this thing but I can't even
get it installed.  I have used older versions of slackware with
speakup so have a pretty good idea what I'm doing.  For some
reason though I can't get the latest install to speak at all.  I
have a doubletalk internal synthesizer which does work.  It
speaks on an old slackware 7.0 boot disc I found but I can't get
the current one speaking at all.  I'm following the instructions
exactly booting off the cd.  I've had a sighted person confirm
the cd is booting properly just with no speech.

Any suggestions?

Danny Keogh
<mailto:dwkeogh at optushome.com.au>