gnome

Shaun Oliver shaun.oliver at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 2 10:12:57 EDT 2004

I heard tell that Farhan delivered up the following on Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:58:46AM -0500,
*SNIP*
what if i don't have a hardware synth?
wht
> linux distro is good enough? suse? mandrake? redhat?

unlike windows you're not confined to one particular flavour.
the only advice we can give you is to choose the distro that you can get
the most support for.
and on this list, that's slackware, debian, gen2, and fedora.
if you don't have a hardware synth you'll still miss out on hearing a
kernel panic or any error that comes up before your sound does.
just correct janina on a minor detale,
speakup comes up after kernel decompress which is as early as you're
going to get at this stage without modifying your bootloader's config
file to have your prompt speak.
we're here to help and that means also helping you overcome your
objections or try to meet them head on and give you enough information
to get started in the linux world.
we all had to start somewhere.
hth

--
Shaun Oliver

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
email: shaun.oliver at optusnet.com.au
WEB: http://blindman.homelinux.org/~blindman/
IRC: irc.awesomechat.net:6666
IRCNICK: blindman