Laptops For Linux?

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Fri Jul 30 23:58:42 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 01:15:32PM EST, Luke Davis wrote:
> Hello, Folks.
>
> My Wonderful little IBM Thinkpad 600 has finally bitten more dust than
> not, and with a degrading hard drive, a dead motherboard battery, and a
> possibly bad parallel port, I think I must sadly move on to something new.
>
> I really liked the physical design of the TP 600 (the best laptop design I
> have run into recently).
>
> I need to get a new unit, upon which I can install Linux rather painlesly.

I would recommend a ThinkPad, as you can get pretty much all new ThinkPads to
run Linux, with a bit of tweaking. I am currently using an R50, and the only
thing I haven't got working is the modem, but that is because I don't need it.

> I'll need something with one PCMCIA slot and an ethernet port, or two
> PCMCIA slots, an RS232 serial port, and a parallel port, for all that
> legasy gear I still must use.

This might be a big problem, as laptops these days don't ship with serial
ports, as far as I know anyway.

hth

Luke