bootdisk speakup.s in slackware 10.0

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Wed Jul 28 16:19:49 EDT 2004

Hi gang,

I have successfully installed SW 10.0 finally on my system, from CD's I
downloaded and burned. So far so good.

Now I have another system without a working CD drive, and want to do a
network install from my main system to this new machine. I begin with a
set of floppies, one boot disk (speakup.s), two install disks, and one
network utilities disk. The problem is that the bootdisk speakup.s image
seems to be broken. I cannot make it talk on either the new machine or
on my old one, although the disk seems to load correctly, and even
proceeds to load the two install diskettes, although without speech.

Has anyone else had to use floppies to install SW 10.0? If so, did you
have any difficulty with the speakup.s image in the bootdisks directory
of the first CD? I have created that diskette a half dozen times and
with different methods, nothing makes it talk.

Any relevant experience with this problem would be nice to know about. I
would like to get an OS on the machine before dealing with the broken CD
drive problem.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)
My home page is at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh