delayed or timed recording

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Wed Jul 21 00:12:41 EDT 2004

I want to record a radio program that I access with mplayer but I'm not
going to be home when the program airs. I want to either set things up so
that the playing of the station and the recording start at the right time
or, failing that, I could connect to the radio station before leaving home
and just have the recording start at a certain time. I don't particularly
need a stop time in this particular instance because I should be home
close to the time it's over, but I might also need an ability to stop at a
certain time in some cases. I could use cron, but I've noticed that
sometimes when I start a radio station in my crontab--as I do for a
wake-up many mornings--it sometimes then stops playing later on without
any apparent reason, and obviously I don't want to come home and find a
program half-recorded and then stopped. I thought I'd seen something about
sox's rec or arecord doing this but I can't find anything about that, so
maybe I saw it in some completely different package. can anybody tell me
if there's a way to do this without having to use cron?
Thanks.

--
Cheryl