ot: bank of america accessibility revisited

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Jul 19 21:17:50 EDT 2004

It should be fine, but to use bank of america you have to use a different
user agent. there was a big discussion about this a while back. Some
websites reject your browser, not on the basis of a real problem, but just
because it doesn't have the user agent for a certain browser. It doesn't
make sense, and there ought to be a better alternative than to accommodate
them by letting the website see what it insists on seeing, but sometimes
there don't seem to be other options.
What I've done for websites where I absolutely have to use another user
agent is make a file for executing lynx that way with a variable so you
can put in the url. You can call it whatever you want but make sure you do
chmod +x filename (meaning whatever the filename is).
then move it to /usr/local/bin.
Then just type the filename and the url.
There's a way to actually put it in lynx permanently but I prefer not to
do this when it isn't needed.
You can also do it in links the chain but I don't think there's any
alternative but to put it in your .links/links.cfg.
Here's the contents of my file; The $1 at the end is what allows  you
to put in the url to which you are
going.

lynx --useragent='Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)' $1

--
Cheryl