names for devices and can I make mutt receive and send mail without exim?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jul 19 17:52:33 EDT 2004

Yes, even though you are not running a mail server.  You really need
to run sendmail, exim, or some other MTA because several linux utilits
use sendmail to "get the mail out" from your system.  Mutt relies on
the external MTA for sure and if by any chance you should run or
develop some automated scripts that might mail a message some place,
you could include the 'mail' command in it and I'm quite sure it also
calls upon sendmail or exim or whoever to send out the mail also.