economical linux OCR?

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Tue Jul 13 09:52:04 EDT 2004

Hello Terry,

	Do you know this for a fact?

	I have been talking to Ralph DeWitt at Vividata in the last few days and at this point they do not have a policy/price to make the xtr ocr package available to blind users.

	Please DO NOT post Mis-information! It is worse than no information.

	Stay tuned. We are trying to negotiate a deal with Vividata. I will post here soon when we have it set up.

	At the moment, you can download the trial software and the manual from:

	ftp://www.linux-speakup.org/pub/linux/goodies/xtrclilite*

	If you do, please read/follow the instructions in the manual. You must obtain a license key from Vividata before you can use the software. This is the trial version only.

	As we know, many sighted people think that we blind people are helpless and require a lot of extra care. Vividata is a bit concerned that if they make the software available to us at a reasonable price for single-users, their tech support department will be overwhelmed with cries for help in installing/running the software. OUr negotiations with Vividata depend on their realizing that we will not be calling them for a lot of hand-holding. So, please, if you download the trial version, READ and FOLLOW the instructions in the manual. It really is quite easy to do.

	HTH,

	--terry