better way of unloading modules in 2.6.6?

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Fri Jul 9 10:23:24 EDT 2004

Hi Igor.  The proper way to unload the alsa modules is modprobe -r
snd-emu10k1 in your case.  This should force unloading of the complete
module stack.  In other words, you unload your primary sound module, and
the rest of the stack is handled automatically.

For the 2.6.x kernels, you also need a package called module-init-tools
or something like that.  Someone please correct me if I have the package
name wrong.  Anyway, it's a special set of module handling utilities for
the 2.6.x kernels.  Look at the CHANGES file in your kernel source tree
for more information.

Gene