OT: Lynx, Linux, and file downloads

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Tue Jul 6 14:15:47 EDT 2004

Probably a "duh" situation.
I did a google search, but didn't find anything.  Think I may have solved
this on one system last year, but forget how.

A new lynx install on Debian Woody (stable), can not properly handle
binary file downloads.
For example, if I go to an URL containing a tar.gz file, instead of
seeing:

Application/gzip d)ownload or c)ancel

I get:

"/tmp/tYRd4q/L6434-10TMP.gz" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

/etc/mime.types advises against using it to specify types for compression
schemes, and in trying to use it for that, it made no difference.

How do I convinse lynx (v2.8.4rel1, by the way) to treete these as files
to be saved, not files to be sent through less?

Thanks

Luke