Speech dispatcher/Speechdup with FC2 w/2.6.6

Vic Beckley vbeckley at wilkshire.net
Sat Jul 3 16:00:17 EDT 2004

Hi Hynek,

I am having about the same problem as the person who initiated this subject.  When I do spd-say with some text, My Internet connection dials the modem and nothing else happens.  Eventually, I have to do ctrl-c to get back to the prompt.  I tried the steps you listed below with the following results.

At 07:15 AM 7/2/2004, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:03:26AM -0400, Erik Heil wrote:
>> Hi their.  i was unable to build flite from source, so I just acquired the
>> RPM's, install the flite-devel and flite RPM's.  Made the required
>> simlinks to /usr/include flite, built speech dispatcher from source and
>> installed it.  Everything's fine.  What else is required to get software
>> working successfully?  Note I also have speechdup installed.  I ran the
>> spd-say program with some text and it complained about it not being able
>> to connect to the clinet, yet I have speech-dispatcher running.
>
>What's the exact message you get from spd-say?  Nothing
>
>Is the port in the configuration of Speech Dispatcher set to
>the default 6560 (/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf)?  Yes
>

>Can you connect to that port with telnet?
>        telnet localhost 6560
>No.  I get the error "Telnet: Could not resolve localhost6560. Tempoerary error in name resolution."

>If not, are you sure Speech Dispatcher is running? You might try to execute
>it with the -s flag on the console:
>        speech-dispatcher -s
>to see if it doesn't complain about something.
>I exited speech-dispatcher and restarted it with the -s option.  First it complained about the festival-host not being found and then it went blank again.  I had to press ctrl-c to get bakc to the prompt.

then I tried changing it to festival instead of Flite.  Now I don't get the error about the festival server, but it just goes dead in the water like Flite did before.  I have to press ctrl-c to get away from the blank line back to the prompt.What might be wrong?