Speech dispatcher/Speechdup with FC2 w/2.6.6

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Fri Jul 2 07:15:51 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:03:26AM -0400, Erik Heil wrote:
> Hi their.  i was unable to build flite from source, so I just acquired the
> RPM's, install the flite-devel and flite RPM's.  Made the required
> simlinks to /usr/include flite, built speech dispatcher from source and
> installed it.  Everything's fine.  What else is required to get software
> working successfully?  Note I also have speechdup installed.  I ran the
> spd-say program with some text and it complained about it not being able
> to connect to the clinet, yet I have speech-dispatcher running.

What's the exact message you get from spd-say?

Is the port in the configuration of Speech Dispatcher set to
the default 6560 (/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf)?

Can you connect to that port with telnet?
	telnet localhost 6560

If not, are you sure Speech Dispatcher is running? You might try to execute
it with the -s flag on the console:
	speech-dispatcher -s
to see if it doesn't complain about something.

Please let me know.

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke