linux and speakup installation

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jan 31 22:10:37 EST 2004

A speech synthesizer is the device that creates the synthetic speech you
listen to. So, with your JAWS on Windows you're probably using the
Eloquence software speech synthesizer. This means that the device is
rendered fully in software.

But, before we had software speech synthesizers, we had hardware ones.
That's what you still have to use with Speakup--and that isn't a bad
thing, but I'm not going to explain that just now. Suffice it to say
that this hardware device is attached to your computer via a serial
port, or on an internal card slot. Unfortunately, the kinds of internal
slots that Speakup can use are now almost impossible to find on new
computers.

Site Resources writes:
> From: "Site Resources" <siteresources at floodcity.net>
>
> hi,
>

>   I am very new to all of this; and I have not yet installed these things. I've been reading some of the documentation on speakup though, and on the installation, and I have a few questions, actually only one concerning speakup.
>
> What does it mean by a speech synthesizer? I'm not quite sure what it means there; sorry if I sound kind of silly with that.
>
> Actually currently, I'm running windows, with jaws.
>

> Brandon

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group