online banking with Bank of America: not quite accessible enough

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jan 31 10:49:31 EST 2004

iAll right, Darrell, you've thrown down the gauntlet. Now let's hear
some specifics.

What function of the web is unsupportable in text-based browsers?

Please don't answer javascript, because that isn't a function--it's a
technology to implement functions. I'm not asking about any particular
markup technology, I'm asking about functions.

The kinds of functions I'm thinking of include "tracking state," which
is currently not supported in lynx/links, but certainly could be.

And in the case of changing state, it's going to be an issue for blind
users regardless of whether the browser is gui or text-based. We're not
going to be able to do it without relying on taking samples--unless we
try to map the state changes to another medium, such as sone kind of
sonic gestures.

So, what functions can't be supported. You say text is obsolete. Prove
it.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group