-45C = -49F

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Tue Jan 27 11:08:03 EST 2004

The following is taken from: http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-bra1.htm

BRASS MONKEY WEATHER

[Q] From Peter Grace: "Over here in Queensland, it gets pretty cool in
the evenings at this time of the year (though it's probably pretty mild
by UK standards). The other day, I used the expression brass monkey
weather and was asked to explain. Any ideas?"

[A] The full expansion of the phrase is "cold enough to freeze the balls
off a brass monkey" and is extremely common throughout the
English-speaking world, often reduced to the form you give, no doubt in
polite company. The origin is unknown. All I can report is that variants
of it were first recorded in the USA in the early part of this century.
There is some suspicion, because of a citation from 1835, that the
phrase may in fact be at least of this age.

There is a story, often repeated, that the phrase originated in naval
warfare at the time of the Napoleonic wars, if not before. It is said
that the stack of cannon balls alongside each gun, arranged in a pyramid
on a brass plate to save space, was called a monkey. In very cold
weather, it is related, the cannon balls would shrink and balls would
fall off the stack.

Though monkey was a term used in this context and era (the boys bringing
charges to the guns from the magazine were known as powder monkeys and
there is some evidence that a type of cannon was called a monkey in the
mid seventeenth century), there is no evidence for the word being
applied to a pile of cannon shot.

The explanation sounds like a story that's been woven around a term
already well known and is full of logical holes: would they pile shot
into a pyramid? (hugely unsafe on a rolling and pitching deck); why a
brass plate? (far too expensive, and unnecessary: they actually used
wooden frames with holes in, called garlands, fixed to the sides of the
ship); was the plate and pile together actually called a monkey? (no
evidence, as I say); would cold weather really cause such shrinkage as
to cause balls to fall off? (highly improbable, as all the balls would
reduce in size equally and the differential movement between the brass
plate and the iron balls would be only a fraction of a millimetre).

Fun story, though.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE::
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.