Restoring grub

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jan 19 10:45:07 EST 2004

I will certainly grant the point on table navigation. Our folks worked
hard within the W3C to specify how tables should be done, and it's nice
to see user agents actually implementing the approach you describe.
Steve Holmes writes:
> From: Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com>
>
> As I sit here and find it necessary to use browsers in both linux and
> windows, I see some advantages to IE and enhancements included in
> Window-Eyes.  Yes, one needs to get familiar with a website a bit to
> take full advantage of the navigation features in either environment.
> With Window-Eyes, there are some neet shortcuts like single key
> navigation to take you to the next heading, list, table, paragraph,
> etc.  With some pages that have say, 3 tables and the one you want is
> clear down at the botom of the page and the number of the link might
> actually very from time to time, merely hitting the 't' key 3 times
> will take you to the beginning of the third table that we want in our
> example here.  On other pages, the 'h' key has become my friend
> because I found it quicker to hit that key a given number of times to
> skip me down to the relevant part of the page but not activate any
> links yet.  I also love the implementation of table support with
> Window-Eyes that enables me to move around in the table as a two
> dimensional plane.  For many tables I've dealt with, linearizing them
> like in lynx and MSAA before WE's table support was almost unbarable.
>
> I don't suppose it would be too hard to add some of these navigation
> features to lynx or some such but I do give some reasons I personally
> can't walk away from IE completely.  Not to mention the lack of java
> support with text browsers.  Links (the chain) has yet revealed to me
> a working javascript page.  That is, I haven't yet found a single
> javascript page that links (chain) worked on.
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:08:42PM -0500, ameer wrote:
> > either way, you need to know some measure of what you're looking for.
>
> --
> HolmesGrown Solutions
> The best solutions for the best price!
> http://ld.net/?holmesgrown

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group