OT: cell phone info needed

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:20:28 EST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Steve Holmes wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:48:39PM +0000, Toby Fisher wrote:
> > It has nothing to do with the carrier - Talx will only run on phones using
> > the Simbion operating system, which are those at the high end, though this
> > may change with time as features trickle down to the cheaper end of the
> > market.
> >
> Well right now, it does indeed make a difference.  I don't know of a
> single Simbion phone that runs on a CDMA network so if your provider
> only does CDMA and not GSM, that phone is truely off limits!

Yes, but my point is, that from a technical stand-point, Simbion is the
important thing, i.e. it could well be just a decision by your network
provider not to carry those phones, or you may be right, those phones may
not be able to run on your network, but I won't start a flame war about
you guys in the US and mobile phone standards...

 > One other deal; if only available on expensive PDA's and
if the > software costs over $200 or $300, then this is not an affordable
> solution for accessibility! It may be a solution but anyone on a
> typical budget could never afford it.

I quite agree.  It has amazed me somewhat that none of you guys have used
the ADA to fight this.  We are constrained over here because there's some
European law that exempts electronic devices from disability legislation -
I'm currently trying to find out why this came in and if it can't be
overturned, it may be possible to use human rights legislation in this
case, but that's for the lawyers.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808