My IP address with DHCP

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Jan 11 21:29:58 EST 2004

Yeah, I have to agree with Steve here, there is no sense in a script asking
for the address of a dhcp server, I haven't seen a program that asks
for such a thing yet. When a dhcp client wants to contact a dhcp
server to obtain an ip address, it broadcasts a pac request on I
believe 255.255.255.255 on udp port 67, and the dhcp server for the
network to which the client is connected responds. The address
reported as the inet addr for your network interface by ifconfig is
your address (the one the rest of the world contacts you by, and the
one you use when contacting the rest of the world).

Greg