My IP address with DHCP

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jan 11 21:24:25 EST 2004

I didn't have to specify an IP address at all for my DHCP server at
Cox.  "They" claim the modem does it or the "modem knows what to do."
What I think happens is we broadcast network wide to request an IP and
their DHCP responds.  My IP gets assigned and is seen under the addr
field of ifconfig eth1.  On my box, eth0 is my local network and has
an address of 192.168.1.1 and my IP on eth1 is assigned from Cox and
is currently something like 68.129.something.something:).  I can't
emagine why a firewall script would be concerned about a DHCP server
address unless it is trying to block sensative addresses or something.

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!