web browsing in links with speakup

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jan 8 07:41:34 EST 2004

Two things:

Make sure you've set:

Keypad Mode: Links and Form Fields are Numbered
Show Cursor On

Then, don't tab to links. Rather, type their number on the qwerty and
press enter.

PS: You can also use up/down arrow if you do want to actually move to a
particular link. Use the Speakup 5 key to ascertain that you're on a
link if unsure.

Darragh writes:
> From: "Darragh" <lists at digitaldarragh.com>
>
> Hello,
> YEsterday I successfully did a search on google, read the results and after
> some messing around used ftp to download what I needed, however it was very
> slow,
>
> I used the tab buttons to cycle around the links and the speakup navigation
> keys to navigate the text but it was kind of hit and miss.  I was getting
> links and text in the same line, sometimes if there were tables I'd get two
> completely different sections of the page read out at once.
>
> Is there a better way of reading web pages?
>
> Thanks
>
> Darragh

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group