broadband connectivity advice

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Jan 7 07:06:18 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:26:39AM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> tell you is wrong to linuxese. I've heard some reports from linux users on
> cable of some ports being intentionally blocked to prevent activity, but
> this hasn't so far happened to me.

They do block several ports at Cox High Speed Internet here but we can
work around that.  I use fetchmail to pull down all my mail destined
to my registered domain by having my mail hosted on an outside server
and I use Exim's smart_host option to send all my mail through Cox
Cable's smtp server as they deny all other direct SMTP contacts.  They
block the more obvious ports inbound such as port 25 mail, 80 HTTP, 21
FTP, etc. but they don't block port 22 ssh so I can still log into my
machines when I want to.

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!