ot: bochs and serial ports, looking for ideas

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Jan 3 21:33:09 EST 2004

Hi all.

I realize this is an off topic post, but since those appear here from
time to time anyway, I figured one more wouldn't be that big of a
deal.

I have recently been playing with bochs:
http://bochs.sourceforge.net

In the bochs configuration, I have com1 set to redirect to
/dev/ttyS0. The strange thing is that when I boot the guest os, which
is DOS, inside of bochs, the provox screen reader doesn't work with my
bns, which is connected to /dev/ttyS0. I have also, over a few days,
by trial and error managed to install win95 and window-eyes (without
speech or braille feedback) inside of
bochs just to try it out. According to my wineyes.ini file, wineyes is
configured to talk to the bns on com1, and is also started in the
startmenu\programs\startup folder. However, again, it doesn't work.

I then booted to dos under bochs, and did
copy filename com1

and the contents of filename was spoken on the bns just fine.

I then changed the com1 output file to be a regular file called
serial.out instead of /dev/ttyS0. Again, provox and window-eyes
produced no output in serial.out, but when I did
copy filename com1
again under DOS, the contents of filename appeared in serial out.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this weird behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Greg