new RedHat user with a question

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Feb 27 10:05:32 EST 2004

Hi, Steve:

May I suggest you follow the installation suggestions of the HOWTO at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

If you do the "everything" installation, as recommended in the HOWTO,
you will get a working GNOME 2.4 that includes Gnome-Speech and
Gnopernicus, howbeit a slightly older version.

There are still additional steps to making it fully functional such as
getting Sun's Java and making sure that Sun's Java RTK is used--but you
do all of that later.

As I suggested in a previous post, if you mean to be involved in Gnome
accessibility development--which I would heartily welcome as would the
wider community--you will soon want to be involved with more current
releases of GNOME and GNOME Accessibility. While I hesitate to say "Go
download yet another set of ISO images," the surest path to the current
development state in GNOME Accessibility is the beta release of Fedora
called Fedora Core 1.90 on the Fedora ftp mirror sites. Bill Acker does
have kernels patched with Speakup ready to install for this beta
environment at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/development/

Please note these are also available via anonymous ftp to
www.linux-speakup.org.

Stephen Clower writes:
> From: "Stephen Clower" <steve at steve-audio.net>
>
> Janina,
>   Thanks for letting me know about the Fedora update before I started installing an out-of-date distribution. I'm downloading the binary iso images right now so will give it a go tomorrow. While this next question may seem off-topic, I was wondering how one would go about installing Gnopernicus to work with the Gnome desktop. Someone, William I believe, mentioned that the Fedora distribution came with Gnopernicus.
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> Stephen Clower, that guy from the south.
> You can reach me by any of the following:
> E-Mail: steve at steve-audio.net
> MSN: steve at steve-audio.net
> AIM: AudioRabbit03
>
> You can also check out my little home on the web by visiting http://www.steve-audio.net

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group