Help - slow performance on a Toshiba laptop

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Thu Feb 19 07:32:07 EST 2004

Mike,

I am getting similarly slow performance on my desktop system and
am also puzzled. I have set multcount to 16, but am unable to set
dma on. I am wondering if there are kernel options for dma that I
ought to be selecting so that dma can be activated. I am using
2.4.24 kernel, and my config file has 8 or 10 options concerning
dma, most of which I do not understand.

What about your power management setting? Is your disk preserving
power by spinning down sometimes? Is your dma set? Is your
multcount set to its max value?