Updating Zipspeak

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 14:44:03 EST 2004

Hi

I think I was probably the  last maintainer of Zipspeak - sorry for not
keeping it updated.  The reasons I stopped maintaining it was that:
1
.  I no longer use Slackware.
2.  I now don't have a Fat/Fat32 partition on which to install and test
Zipspeak.
3.  Since Slackware now includes Speakup the need for a separate Zipspeak
distribution is  lessened.

However, I will now tell you how to make your own Zipspeak of sorts, and
don't hesitate to get in tuch by emailing me at saqibshaikh.com for more help.

So to get your own version of Zipspeak:
1.  Download the file zipslack.zip from somewhere like
ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/zipslack/zipslack.zip
2.  Follow the standard instructions provided to unzip the file into an
appropriate location and edit the linux.bat file.
3.  Now get the  Speakup Slackware kernels.  To do this get all the files
from somewhere like
ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/kernels/speakup.i/
You will find three files: bzImage, config and system.map I think.
\linux\boot for future reference.
Then rename bzImage vmlinuz and place it in \linux\vmlinuz.

This ought to do the job and give you Slackware 9.1 with Speakup 1.5.  You
will need to compile your own kernel to get the CVS version of Speakup - 1.5
is the latest stable version.
Slet me know if this makes sense.
Aqib