Kernel patches for speakup-enabled Redhat?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Feb 7 09:46:31 EST 2004

Dear Michael:

As long as you get your new kernel rpm at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/9/RPMS

you will retain Speakup.

PS: You might want to consider upgrading to the Speakup Modified Fedora
Core available at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/

Fedora has taken the place of Red Hat in consumer Linux. In other words,
upgrading Red Hat 9 means installing Fedora Core 1.0.

I'm glad to hear this is working well for you.

Michael Hannon writes:
> From: Michael Hannon <jmh at physics.ucdavis.edu>
>
> Greetings.  We've recently downloaded and installed linux speakup for the
> first time.  As we run mostly Redhat linux around here, we chose to
> download the speakup-enabled version of Redhat, as found at:
>
> http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/cdroms.html
>
> This has worked very well, and the blind student who uses the system is
> delighted with it.
>
> I noticed today that there is a new version of the kernel available for
> Redhat version 9.  It's easy enough to get and install a new kernel from
> the RPM's, but it looks as if doing that would "break" speakup.
>
> Can any of you folks comment about this?  Do we have to rebuild a custom,
> speakup-enabled kernel?  Or do the people that provided the ISO's for the
> distribution make one available?
>
> Thanks.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group