can't find serial port

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Feb 5 22:05:47 EST 2004

I don't think that will do anything useful.

Essentially, you want to get these settings correct if you need to make
sense of the output. But, any kind of noise/garbage chars would tell us
the port is working. In other words, getting the mode wrong won't keep
it from working, it will just keep it from making sense.

I don't know if you can no longer simply copy to a port, now that access
to ports is managed more securely by the OS. I'm sorry, I don't do
Windows these days. So, my information may be old.

I think you need to look at your bios and make certain that the port is
active. It's possible some other device is assigned com1, something
other than the db9 port. I see that on laptops all the time.

Glenn Ervin at Home writes:
> From: "Glenn Ervin at Home" <GlennErvin at cableone.net>
>
> You might also try the following in a DOS box or at the DOS prompt:
> mode com1 9600,n,8,1,,
> That is the typical port settings.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group