linux and speakup installation

Sean Murphy smmail at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 2 03:53:08 EST 2004

Hi All.

Interesting points that people make about Software Synths verses hardware
Synthes.

I have used both in Linux and Windows and haven't found a major loss in CPU
performance.  In saying this, it does depend on what sort of applications
you are using and sound card you have in your system.

Please correct me on this point.  But I think some sound cards have DSP
(Digital singal Processors) chips on them.  This chip assists with
processing sound and reduces the amount of CPU loss  that otherwise would
occur.  Also

How many people out there are really going to use the full copassity of
their 1gz or higher computers?  The amount of loss that would occur on their
computer with software synths is not going to effect performance on a whole.
Only people that I would see really using the full pwoer of the modern CPU's
are people who are running very complex applications that are CPU hungry.
Such as video editing, sound editing, complex applications, etc.

The future of synths is going to be software, not hardware.  If you are
lucky enough to have a hardware synth, hang on to it.  But one day,
computers are not going to have Parallel or serial ports.  Everything is
going to be USB.  Floppies now are optional.

Sean