OT: Hacking your Tivo

Debee Norling debee at jfcl.com
Wed Dec 29 01:52:36 EST 2004

The Tivo (digital video recorder) is Linux-based. I gave my sighted fiance
one for Christmas, but after he installed a network card and bigger hard
disk, it's been my job to get all the software hacks working.

It's really fun, easy and completely accessible. A Tivo lets you watch what
you want on TV when you want it and it takes care of all the details like
when a program airs and how long to record.

As a blind person, I haven't really been in to television, but having access
to the program guide is very nifty. Being able to control a machine to tape
good PBS stuff like Nova and Frontline is also quite fun. And to have a home
appliance that can run Emacs, well that's just 'way cool!

  From bookshare you can download Tivo Hacks and I have scanned Jeff
Keegan's Hacking Tivo book. Email me if you want a copy. You can see his
website at www.keegan.org

My work email is: norlingdeborah (at) fhda.edu
My home email is: debee (at) jfcl.com

--Debee
(Deborah Norling, Milpitas, California.)