using two sound cards

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Dec 21 09:45:12 EST 2004

Hi, Chuck:

Part of the problem is that there are several ways to address the cards.
There's the direct way. Here's an example:

aplay -D hw:1,0

Then there's the plugin layer:

aplay -D plughw:1,0

ecasound does it differenty, and I need to leave my computer for a few
hours--so I'm going to rush through the rest.

You want to use the plug layer because it will allow you to address all
the devices on your card, midi ports for example.

You might ultimately also want the jack-audio-connection-kit installed
so that many apps can talk to your sound card at the same time, while
maintaining low latency. Jack only does one card for now, though.

More later.