making speakup settings stick

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Dec 20 14:46:17 EST 2004

Hi, David:

I think there are a couple of solutions floating around for this. My own
is really quite simple:

1.)	I create /etc/speakup

2.)	For each synth I have, I create the appropriate subdirectory,
e.g. for my internal Doubletalk ISA card I create /etc/speakup/dtlk

3.)	I copy the files that make the settings I want from
/proc/speakup into that directory. Note that I need only take those
where my settings will be different from the default. rate is one such
for me.

4.)	Now the magic. In /etc/rc.local--or perhaps in
$HOME/.bash_profile--I have the following entry:

cp -r /etc/speakup/`cat /proc/speakup/synth_name`/* /proc/speakup/

Of course, this can also go in a script or alias for use on the fly.

hth

				Janina