Almost there but...

W. Nick Dotson nickdotson at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 12 12:59:35 EST 2004

I've got Linux installed, but somehow didn't get things right seting up my "initrd".  I've tried the "modprobe speakup_decext" with myriad variations to force it to
"ser=0", as that was what was necessary to get it to work initially.  I'm not getting speech, but I do believe we're up and as soon as I got the low "beep" I used
"left ctl-alt-f1", followed by "root" and "enter" then my password and "enter".  I get the "beep" when I hit the backspace key, and if I type something, I have to
press backspace the number of characters I've entered to get back to the left margin beep.  What am I missing here, and is there another approach to try?  For
instance, a way to use the boot disc to get speech up, then, log into Linux?

Nick