version agnostic system hardening tools

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Dec 12 05:26:28 EST 2004

bastille talks but curses at least doesn't track well for speech using
speakup at least.  Also, bastille doesn't work on FC3 yet and that
includes the beta version.  I've been searching the internet as a whole
not just onfreshmeat.net.  I'll try an exclusive search and if I come up
with any winners I'll share the wealth.  Does anyone have an idea what the
valid objection is to handling system hardening using the philosophy that
the package when produced for linux and maybe nix to be more general will
install on all flavors and on all versions.  The package will detect what
problems it can and offer to do what fixes it knows how to do.  Then the
package will offer to check for updates and download and run those updates
if those updates exist using the same philosophy.  I have been studying
system hardening and have done much of what has been done on this system
by hand, the only reason I'm interested in the system hardening packages
is to find out if there's things I missed. and to be able to get those
improvements done.