Dpkg problems

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 27 20:07:57 EDT 2004

Folks,

Thanks to all with suggestions, but thanks to Gene COllins we found the
problem. We chatted about it and tried a few things then went ahackin'
and found that in /var/lib/dpkg there was this here file with one line
of text. See I was trying like hell to find a file called
statusoverride, but no such bugger was there. It turns out there is a
statusoverride.old file, but the problem child was statoverride which
contained one line of text.

root Debian-exim 0640 /etc/exim4/passwd.client

Now once that line was removed, no problem, I got exim installed without
any hitch. I knew there had to be some file somehwere that was causing
the problem, but my reading on dpkg never lead me down this path, but I
hadn't found a great deal of material on dpkg, but Gene was very helpful
and worked through the problem with me.

Scott