dpkg problems

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 25 19:22:09 EDT 2004

Sorry folks I'm using two different matchines to read and respond to
mail. I have a very borken Exim on the problem box so this is getting
fun.
I did as Cheryl suggested and forgot to mention that apt-get -f install
did the following. First when I ran apt-get install exim4 which was the
offending pkg, I got

You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  at: Depends: mail-transport-agent
  exim4: Depends: exim4-base (>= 4.34) but it is not going to be
installed
         Depends: exim4-daemon-light but it is not going to be installed
or
                  exim4-daemon-heavy but it is not going to be installed
or
                  exim4-daemon-custom but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution

when I run apt-get -f install no package name

Correcting dependencies... Done
  exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
Suggested packages:
  eximon4 exim4-doc-html exim4-doc-info
  exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 278 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1303kB of archives.
After unpacking 2814kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statusoverride file

So there ya go and this is where I'm stuck. I am sure there's a fix
here, but I'm not seeing it.

tnx and keep those suggestions coming, I am sure one will fix this
mess.<grin> then I'll stop breaking stuff.hahah

Scott