Disabling root login on ssh?

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Tue Aug 17 01:23:48 EDT 2004

Hi there,
Two things. First, to fix your problem.
If you send me the following files, I
will take a look at them and provide you with any information you may
need to fix them:

/etc/pam.d/sshd
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

And just to be safe, send me this one as well:

/etc/pam.d/login

Now, to answer your questions about pam.
No, pam has nothing to do with kerberos, accept that pam modules could
use it I guess if you had the right one. Pam stands for plugable
authentication modules, and it is supposed to provide a uniform way for
programs to authenticate users. Programs that are written to support pam
can easily authenticate users according to pam's configuration, and the
programs need not have any knolege of how the authentication takes
place. In some cases, programs that do their own authentication can have
their authentication decisions ignored because of pam. This depends
on how the program is written. For example, if sshd were configured to
check with pam for authentication, whether or not the permitrootlogin
setting were honored would depend on when and how sshd checked it. If
pam allowed the authentication, and sshd just accepted that without any
further checks, then the permitrootlogin setting would make no
difference. The good news is that if this is the case, pam does have a
module that allows authentication to be automatically denied if the user
requesting authentication is root.

Ok, I hope that cleared things up a little. I just finished doing some
reading up on pam, so if anyone has any questions, I can probably answer
them. <grin>
--
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
Note, the following is used for automated processing. Please lieve in
tact if quoting me in a reply.
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7