escaping filenames

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Sat Aug 14 15:02:15 EDT 2004

Wow!  Where did that file come from (retorical question)?  You might
try the following, taking care to keep track of directory and file
permissions if necessary--especially if system files are involved!
Try moving all of the other files and subdirectories from the
directory where the ^k file is, then removing the directory where the
^k file is with `rm -r <dirname>`, recreating the directory with
`mkdir <dirname>`, and then moving all of the wanted files and
subdirectories back in to the new empty directory.  After a few simple
attempts, I was not able to create a ^k file unless I used the
individual characters '^' and 'k' (as opposed to CTRL-K), but I was
able to create a file whose name consisted of a single space
character, and then remove it as described above.  Note that if the
file name is actually made up of the characters '^' and 'k', a simple
remove command using the characters should remove it.  HTH and have a
_great_ day.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 02:18:35PM -0400, Terry D. Cudney wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	In this thread, how do I get rid of a file that shows up in an 'ls' listings as "^K". It is a zero length file, but persistently there.
>
> 	--terry

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
1 = x^0