Problems making a new initrd to make a new kernel of speakup talk

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Tue Aug 10 13:38:10 EDT 2004

This is a debian system So I think some things do differ.  -v and -f don't
exist on my version of mkinitrd.  Weird but if you google for mkinitrd you
will notice two different man pages.  One does list -v and -f for verbose
output and for overriding the current image.  However my version of
mkinitrd mentions -m and some kind of command and a file called
/etc/mkinitrd/modules for doing things with modules.  I don't doubt these
things work for Fedora users but they don't necessarily work in Debian and
I'm trying to iron out the differences.  I'm not even sure if the
kernel-image-speakup package uses speakup as modules or as builtin
drivers.  Some drivers say y and others say m.  All the drivers for
synthesisers say y.  I changed the default in the 2.4.26 from reading
default="none" to reading
default="bns"
That did not give me speech at bootup.  My change to the file did save.
Apparently you can't edit a compiled kernel's config file?  I did try the
steps outlined in the Fedora howto starting from cding to /lib/modules
before I tried the /mnt/sysimage directory which did not exist.  I also
tried placing the speakup_synth=bns command immediatly after the boot
command in my menu.lst file.  So for example for the 2.4.26 kernel this
looked like boot speakup_synth=bns
That didn't work.

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net>
Sent by: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca
08/09/2004 06:12 PM
Please respond to "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux."