OT: Will a DVD work on my old system?

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Tue Aug 3 05:25:17 EDT 2004

I need some feedback/info concerning installing a DVD reader/writer +
CD reader/writer on my old computer.  I need hardware which will work
with Speakup enabled Linux running a text console (currently running
Slackware 10.0).  I expect the biggest hurdle I have to deal with is
that my old system is only a 133 MHz Pentium with 64 MB RAM.  Might
this old thing be capable of running more than a simple CDROM?  What
models are supported by Linux?  Are there outside sources I should be
reading (where to get them, etc.)?  Should I just wait until I can get
a new computer, and if so, what generally should I be looking for that
will run Linux and the DVD + CDr/rw hardware?  I have been told by a
few people that DVD writers can only run on much faster hardware than
I have here (1.2 GHz, I think was mentioned), so I would like to find
out some more info before I run off and spend money on hardware I will
not be able to use until I buy a new machine at some point in the
distant future.

Thanks, and have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
_PI = 4 * ARCTAN (1)