I did something stupid now there is no speech

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Mon Aug 2 14:41:37 EDT 2004

I thought I was upgrading the speakup on my system because I installed the
deb kernel-image-2.4.26-speakup but I think maybe I just gave grub a new
kernel to screw with me.  Now the 2.4.24-1-speakup image which came up
talking nicely is not my default kernel.  I don't know what is.  Is there
a way to get speakup up and talking after I boot up and log-in?  What do I
type at the boot prompt if I have to wait till then to start speakup?  How
do I edit my menu.lst or other files to make this system work again?
Finally, If none of that works, can I telnet into this system, remove the
kernel image and will the system work?  I'm not on my own domain or
anything, but when I typed in the machine name, I couldn't get a telnet
connection.  I don't know if there is something else I need to type for
that part, the machines are both connected to my dsl modem which has a
built-in router. Sean