speech-dispatcher and speakup: several questions

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri Apr 30 12:05:29 EDT 2004

Ok, I have debian's speech-dispatcher packages and speechd_up working, and
I even had it
working with dectalkRT at one point, but then I did something that lost
it. At any rate, I am finding myself a bit confused and have several
questions. if I should be reading documentation somewhere for these,
please let me know where it is.

1. I have a symlink from /dev/ttyS1 to /dev/synth. However, my synthesizer
won't always be serial now, and in rebooting after at least one kernel
compilation I got a message about unable to initialize /dev/synth. What do
i do with /dev/synth?

2. What I really would like to do is have ltlk compiled into the kernel
and sftsyn as a module; I would usually use sftsyn, but don't want to lose
the capability of having speakup run early if i am troubleshooting. I
assume I would compile speakup into the kernel, ltlk into the kernel,
sftsyn as a module. then would I choose "none" for the default? If I
choose ltlk as the default and doubletalk is turned on, doubletalk in the
kernel will automatically start and I'm not sure I can then change to
sftsyn, besides I don't want doubletalk to start all the time. But if I
have doubletalk turned off, the system hangs for quite a while with an
input time-out, and even once it apparently begins moving (brltty loads) I
have to press enter to get it to finish loading. But if I choose sftsyn as
the default, i get something about runaway modprobe.

3, I have an append line for any kernel that is speakup-enabled because my
doubletalk is on /dev/ttyS1. do I leave this in there regardless of which
synth I am going to use or do I need to comment it out if I plan to load
sftsyn?

5. I notice I have in the addmodules of speech-dispatcher an epos-generic
which apparently uses the same sd_generic module as dtk-generic. are these
supposed to work together or is there a conflict or does it not matter as
long as dtk-generic is the default?

6. Is there a way to permanently change the pitch in speakup with
sftsyn from 5 to 1? I used echo but it seemed to change back when i
rebooted, maybe because I am still going back and forth between
synths?
Sorry if these are obvious questions; obviously they aren't obvious to
me!!!

--
Cheryl