accessability with reguards to java not necessarily linux only but may be useful

Bob Dodd Bob.Dodd at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 30 03:43:19 EDT 2004

Hello Sean,

I'd argue that there is nothing wrong with Java at all (well not in
that respect). What you were asked to do is really just a misuse of the
text field metaphor within Java. Being able to hit "return" is a useful
shortcut, but it is not a substitute for an "evaluate" or a "go" button
alongside. It happens quite a lot of course, usually when people are
trying to provide a command-line interface inside the Java GUI, which
would be better provided as a command-line based Java application (that
way it would work with Speakup...) One way to fix the accessibility
issue for your assignment would be to put the "press the return key to
execute command" instruction into the ALT text attribute using the Java
accessibility layer. It's a "bodge" though, not a proper solution (for
one thing, you will hear that text every time the screen reader scans
the page).

Bob Dodd

Special Needs Computing Research Unit,
School of Computing,