accessability with reguards to java not necessarily linux onlybut may be useful

Saqib Shaikh s.shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 21:48:00 EDT 2004

Hi

Sean, I don't think this is necessary.  My reasoning is that a sighted
person has no idea whether to press enter or not, unless it says so.  You
can associate an action with a text field, but you should also have a label
saying "Enter a number and press enter".  Unless, of course, it is obvious
from the context.  In other words, it comes down to good UI design, whether
you're seeing the screen or using a screen reader.

In uni they taught us how to enter text into a text field by pressing enter
just because it's a convenient way of getting user input without first
teaching students about buttons.  I'd be interested to know if you know of
any professional applications that use this method for anything useful.

Saqib