Serotek is a company

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Sun Apr 25 20:39:12 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:13:14PM -0400, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Good post, Saqib.  You're absolutely right.  What is being obscured
> here is the effect of the product upon the community.  Here are some
> hard, cold facts, folks.
>
> One:  Microsoft has a strangle hold on any mainstream employment
> possibilities for the blind.  Any mainstream company is going to be
> using Windows and Windows software for its employees.  This means that
> those who are lucky enough to get jobs, the thirty percent of us that
> is, will have to use Windows unless you are in a situation where you
> run your own busines, or you don't have a mainstream job or you are
> unemployed.
>
> Two:  This means that FB has got to market itself to the 70% of the
> blind community which doesn't need Windows or at least doesn't need a
> Windows Browser.
>
> Three:  The problem with marketing to this segment of the population
> is that there isn't enough money  to rub two gold coins together.
>
> So, what has got to happen is that the product has to be marketed to
> The Whole Community, as much of the population as can possibly be.  In
> other words, you've got to use universal design and design something
> that is going to appeal to many people.
>
> If FB were assured of a stable, large, enthusiastic market, then
> releasing the code might not be such an issue.  <sigh>  Let's see if
> we can help and not hinder this project.

How can we help the project if we don't have the code to play with/make
improvements upon? My message wasn't to tell the company that they did a
bad job with their browser (granted there are some bugs that can be
fixed in a later version), rather it was to somehow encourage peer
review. And releasing the code is a way to do it. Can you clarify on
"helping the project?"
It sure works better than