converting text files to sound files

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sun Apr 25 12:50:49 EDT 2004

I think this has been discussed before and nobody really came up with a
solution, but thought I'd put it out anyway.
I have .txt files which I'd love to turn into ogg files so I could listen
to them with something like zinf when I'm not at the computer; that allows
me to pause and go backward and forward, etc.
I searched google and, while I found some textfile to speech programs in
Microsoft windows, I regret to say i didn't find anything like that in
linux.
I have festival working on my computer; I heard there is a way to make a
.wav file with festival but haven't looked into that yet. also, with my
sblive, I can use loopback recording, have festival read the file and have
it recorded as it is read--time-consuming but still possible. but, besides
this being time-consuming, I don't really find festival's speech yet to be
something I want to record a bunch of files in. However, as the only
option, I could do it.
I can also read the text files with speakup using my doubletalk lt, whose
speech I frankly like better than festival's, maybe because I'm used to
it. However, this would again be time-consuming, having to listen to the
whole file. besides, I'm not sure it's possible. I don't see any way to
actually record my doubletalk lt reading except by putting a microphone in
front of it, which would pick up other noise as well. And there's no way
to put it through my soundcard instead to use loopback recording. finally,
I couldn't get a continuous read because with my doubletalk lt eventually
the buffer gets full (i think that's the explanation) and doubletalk quits
reading; nobody wants a recording done with "more". so probably using my
doubletalk lt is out unless somebody knows something I don't about
it--that would be great!
Has anybody found a good solution for this problem or does anybody know of
a tool for this that I am missing? It would really be nicer to be able to
convert the text file at least to a wav file without having to sit and
listen to the whole thing to do it; I don't mind the subsequent conversion
to ogg as that's easy. If festival is the only way to go with this, has
anybody tried this and is there a shortcut to doing it instead of
listening to the file?
Thanks.

--
Cheryl