Cross Fading Audio Found

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Wed Apr 21 09:05:37 EDT 2004

At 10:45 PM 21/04/2004, Janina Sajka wrote:
>Jack seems to be very much the direction that most people doing serious
>audio work with Linux are taking. The only serious criticism I've heard
>against adopting Jack into the package distros is that it doesn't support
>streaming over a network. Not that it couldn't, just that it currently
>doesn't address that.

Jack clients have indeed been written to do just this, varying from simple
network client/server audio transfer, to sending data to a icecast server
for broadcasting.

>I think we need something like Jack, so I certainly encourage more
>attention to its development.

For serious audio work, indeed. However I would recommend it's use for only
that, as if one wishes to run Jack and it's clients in realtime, one needs
their system and kernel finely tuned to give the best performance, which is
not always an easy task.

Luke