freedom box for linux

David Csercsics david at really.isa-geek.net
Thu Apr 8 18:09:00 EDT 2004

>Hi all,
>
>Chris, I can't get anyone to pay attention to me!  I asked if they
>wanted to try it but seems they don't cuz the browser isn't totally
>under the GPL cuz they're using Dec.  What can you find out about it?
>Is the browser itself under GPL, do you get to keep the browser after
>the test?  Must you join the Freedom Box server or what?  How fast a
>processor does the Linux version need?  I've got a Pentium 266 here,
>but my new Windows box is faster.  Find out more, will you, please?

Well I just talked to Matt Campbell. You can keep the browser after
your freedombox beta is up. You can also use it with one of the free
synths after the beta has expired but as of now it only works with
the dectalk. You need at least glibc 2.3.2 because Matt is developing
on Slackware 9. You do not need a full gnome install just the xfree86
package gtk2 and metacity and mozilla. Matt said freedombox's installer
will handle the rest . He said that he is trying to get the company to
let him GPL the talkign mozilla but he's had no luck so far so he's
doing the next best thing which is make the binaries free forever.
As for system requirements if you can run X you should be able to run
Freedombox.  Also the package is just a shel l script and some binaries
so it will work with any distro which is good. Matt said he tried to
find gui-less alternatives but there was none because of mozilla's
dependencies. Hopefully some of this info is useful. I may give it
a hack just for the talking mozilla the next time I come acdross a
crummy page that must require javascript because it's silly. I hope
that at some point in the future the talking mozilla will be free
software so that it can be used to help with other efforts such as
gnopernicus. But not yet unfortunately.