how to fix the file system?

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Sun Sep 28 13:57:45 EDT 2003

With my Debian installation I have become accustomed to power brown-outs
here on the mountain.  I perform without benefit of a net or a UPS (which
so far has been out of my price range).  I find the need to frequently run
fsck -- that is File System Check.

Try man fsck for details.  But basically you run it against each partition.

fsck /dev/hda1
fsck /dev/hda2
fsck /dev/hda3
fsck /dev/hda6

Was the routine on my last installation.  hda4 was a divvied up into 5 and
6.  running fsck on it produced errors.  As did running it against
/dev/hda5, which was the swap partition.

This command requires tending, it will ask you if you want to fix the
errors it finds.  Running man fsck will reveal the options available,
including one which answers yes to all prompts.

It was useful to keep me going, but could not prevent the frequent brown
outs from taking their toll.  That 40gb drive died just a few weeks ago and
the system had to be rebuilt.

-- Hugh