error starting emacspeak under red hat 9

Guy Abandon. text.tools at virgin.net
Wed Sep 24 16:54:44 EDT 2003

<<process speaker not running>>

I get this one without being in an X-Windows environment and put it
down to lack of configuration either with a suitable speech engine
part or similar.

<<sounds like the emacspeak list is an unforgiving place for
newbies.>>

I found that too, which is why I still don't use Emacspeak yet.

I downloaded but didn't get to try the Oralux distro yet either which
is meant to boot and work right out of the box so to speak.  Has
anyone made that work like that?

Is there any mileage in trying to get Emacspeak to run with an
existing Apollo that is already being driven by Speakup?
Is it worth using plain old Emacs and skip the speak bit?

We're meant to be Speakup users here, so who uses Emacspeak or Emacs
and how successfully?

GA!