redhat 9 mediacheck question

Jes and guide dog Harley jesman598 at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 20:58:12 EDT 2003

This message is a bit long, and I do apologize, however in order to help me, you must understand what I have done.

I wanted to check the installation media, in this case, the cd rom for errors before deciding whether or not to install. I went to
the boot prompt and enabled speakup with my doubletalk lt. When it asked whether I wanted to test the media, I answered yes. It
ran through the test and reported that the media result was: fail, and said either I had a corrupted download or a bad disk, and
that if I checked the disk and it continually failed, I shouldn't install. I knew it couldn't possibly be a corrupted download, so
I ran the test again with the same cdr disk, and got the same result. I guessed it probably was a bad disk, so I went and burnt
the first image on to a cdrw. I ran the test again, and the result was: pass. Finally, I reinserted the disk that had failed
twice, and got the result of a passing test. What I wonder is, why would it say that the cdr disk, the one that had failed on me
twice, finally passed the test? Could it be a false reporting from media check? OR is my hardware weird? Thanks for any help,
Jes